BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes

2011-09-02 17:11:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 04:10:06 +0700
On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 3:50 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

The ubuntu package should create a backuppc user and that should be
the owner of everything under TOPDIR.  I think you need to diagnose
why the link fails but trying the same operation from the shell (su -s
/bin/bash backuppc if it doesn't have a shell configure for login).

What is the "same operation"? I'm not up on how to track down the postinstall script in the install package, is it just doing an "/etc/init.d/backuppc start"?

I think you are making things too complicate with a bunch of bind
mounts.  Why not just mount the partition as /var/lib/backuppc and if
you want it to be self-contained, symlink other stuff there?

The references I've seen, both here in the list and elsewhere - hang on a sec - yes right in the BPC docs

treat them as functionally equivalent.

Personally I don't see how bind mounts are any more complex than symlinks; my impression is that as developers are able to count on modern systems' handling bind mounts, symlinks are getting deprecated. They also seem less vulnerable somehow, I've heard of some software/systems being unable to traverse them - in fact I've read they're pretty much transparent right down to the kernel level.

If you're saying symlinks are to be preferred over bind mounts then I'd be happy to switch, but would like to know why, and perhaps the FAQ ref'd above should include those points. . .

In the meantime, my reinstall without ANY filesystem shenanigans didn't pass the hardlinks test on startup. Any ideas as to what could be the cause of that?

Maybe because backuppc user already exists? Should I be logged in as her when re-installing?