BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Swapping drives for offsite - the whole shebang

2011-09-02 17:04:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Swapping drives for offsite - the whole shebang
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 03:55:33 +0700

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 3:38 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
It turns out that a linux raid1 mirror looks just like the non-raid
filesystem it contains - or enough that you can mount the single drive
as if it were a normal partition.  So you can treat the rotated member
just  the same as your single drive in a recovery scenario.

I'd prefer not to have to deal with the "break a mirror/fail the drive/swap it out/remirror" routine. My idea is to simply bring the server down, swap out the one disk, reboot and walk away.

One is that a drive failure will mean missed backups.

That's true, but need to set up an auto-notification of the server going down to handle all the other possible failure causes anyway, and the B drive is right there on the shelf ready to go. In fact having it NOT inside the server eliminates the chance that it would be damaged by one of those other causes - I've had a failed PSU fry almost all the components in a machine. . .