BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Linux backups with rsync vs tar

2011-09-02 17:12:13
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Linux backups with rsync vs tar
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 17:04:09 -0400
"Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 09/02/2011 02:37:31 PM:

> Timothy J Massey wrote at about 10:43:37 -0400 on Friday, September 2, 2011:
>
>  > Your old backups should be 100% fine.  They will remain in the pool just
>  > fine, etc.  I do not believe that files transferred by rsync will pool
>  > with files transferred by tar (due to the attribute issue you mention);
>  > however, for you that's a moot point:  90% of your files don't pool,
>  > anyway.
>
> Why do you think they won't pool?

You ignored the part where I said to take what I wrote with a grain of salt.  I was extrapolating from what the questioner said.  The point was that it DOES NOT MATTER in this case.

Having said that, thank you for the details, and for correcting the record.

>  > This is not a *bad* thing.  Every single one of my backup serversis based
>  > on BackupPC, and all but maybe 2 shares are backed up using rsync.  (The
>  > only exceptions I can think of are where I'm backing up data on aNAS, and
>  > I can't or won't run rsyncd on the NAS so I have to use SMB).  Whether
>  > it's an advantage or disadvantage, that's the setup I use.  I vastly
>  > prefer consistency over performance.  But I can live with 8 hour backup
>  > windows.
>
> Why not run rsyncd on a NAS? It works fine and is reasonably fast even
> on low end arm-based devices with minimal memory (e.g., 64MB).

Because I do not control the firmware on the NAS devices, rooting the device and adding random software does not appeal to me, there is (for my purposes) zero downside to using SMB, and if I wanted to deal with a random collection of vendor-supplied and custom-added code, I probably would have not selected a NAS in the first place.

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com