BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes

2011-09-02 17:29:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 16:27:56 -0500
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM,  <hansbkk AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

>> The ubuntu package should create a backuppc user and that should be
>> the owner of everything under TOPDIR.  I think you need to diagnose
>> why the link fails but trying the same operation from the shell (su -s
>> /bin/bash backuppc if it doesn't have a shell configure for login).
>

> What is the "same operation"? I'm not up on how to track down the
> postinstall script in the install package, is it just doing an
> "/etc/init.d/backuppc start"?

I mean try to create a hardlink between a file under the pc directory
to under the cpool directory.

su -s /bin/bash backuppc
cd /var/lib/backuppc/pc
touch testfile
ln testfile ../cpool/testfile
  that should complete with no errors and then "ls -l testfile" should
show a link count of 2.

Backuppc does approximately the same test at startup but in perl and
you may not see the real error message.

Does the drive in question have a filesystem that handles hard links?