BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes

2011-09-02 16:34:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] first "full" never completes
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 03:32:25 +0700
On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
I don't see any other message yet, but the way to get it right is to
just mount the partition you want to use for storage in the place
where backuppc wants it (should be /var/lib/backuppc with the deb
package).  Or put a symlink there pointing to the location you want.
If you do this before the install, everything should land in the right
place and get the right permissions.   The critical things are that
the pool/cpool/pc directories must all be in the same filesystem so
hardlinks can work and with versions before 3.2 you can't change the
TOPDIR location after the initial setup which is already done in the
deb and rpm packaged versions.   Usually if you get these wrong, you
get an error when starting the service about not being able to make a
hard link so I'm not quite sure what is happening

I meant that I'd done exactly as you suggested above, but with bind mounts rather than symlinks, with the specific locations and steps as outlined in this post
which you've also responded to. Sorry to have multiple threads going at the same time, but obviously they may be more related than I thought.

I've just uninstalled the backuppc package, then either manually deleted or verified these were removed:

/etc/backuppc
/usr/share/backuppc
/var/lib/backuppc

and rebooted.

Re-installed, this time without anything extra in the fstab, just letting the package go where it wants, but in the end of the post-install script, get a message that the hard-link test failed.

Did I miss something in uninstalling that may have interfered with the re-install?

Could I please get a pointer to what the permissions should be on these locations and their contents? That's actually what I was trying to get by going through the installation again. . .

Thanks much for your help. . .