BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup From Web Browser

2010-03-05 12:23:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup From Web Browser
From: "Summers, James B. II" <jsummers AT ou DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 17:21:55 +0000
Well a reinstall of the OS is not totally out of the question but will have to
be a last resort.

My latest attempt was to wipe off all config files and binaries.  Then did a
re-install of BackupPC.  I also have the suid stuff working in the webserver
now.  But I am confused on whether it is using mod_perl or not?  If so, I need
to remove the suid bit?

I reconfigured a host and then went to that host and asked for a full backup.
Same results.  The odd thing is that the first check comes back as ok.  But
when you go back to the host page, the failed ping count has increased.

All firewalls have been turned off and I can ping each address from each end of
the pipe.

I think this is probably the underlying issue, but I can not get a log to help
me.

Is there a way to run in debug mode or turn up log level?  I found a setting to
increase the verbosity of XFER, but I do not think I am getting that far?

Thanks

On Mar 4, 2010, at 3:48 PM, Summers, James B. II wrote:

> On Mar 4, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 04 March 2010 15:22:34 Summers, James B. II wrote:
>>> Might be on to something here.  When at the client I try to initiate an
>>> incremental backup.  Which according to the docs should happen at any
>>> time.  I modified some file so I am sure there is something to backup.
>>>
>>> The first messages come back as reply from server ok doInc, or something
>>> close to that.  But then when I go back to the hompage of that client I
>>> noticed that the "Failed Ping" count keeps increasing.  And the client log
>>> file never shows that anything was initiated, but the server log file
>>> shows the request.
>>
>> What distro?
>
> RHEL4
>
>> Installed from what source?
>
> tarball from the sourceforge site.
>

>> Installing on Ubuntu hardy from the distro packages, most files are owned by
>> root:root with normal permissions.  Excecptions:
>>
>> -rwsr-x---   backuppc www-data   /usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin/index.cgi
>>
>> drwxr-xr-x   backuppc www-data   /etc/backuppc
>> -rw-r--r--   backuppc www-data     /etc/backuppc/apache.conf
>> -rw-r-----   backuppc www-data  /etc/backuppc/config.pl
>> -rw-r-----   backuppc www-data   /etc/backuppc/hosts
>> drwxr-x---   backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc
>> drwxr-x---  backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc/cpool
>> drwxr-x---  backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc/pc
>> drwxr-x---  backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc/pool
>> drwxr-x---  backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc/trash
>>
>> The web server runs as www-data:www-data, can read the cgi, and the cgi runs
>> as setuid backuppc.  Then the backuppc user can read/write anything else
>> that
>> matters.  I suppose the most obvious thing to check is "what user does your
>> index.cgi run as?"
>
> My httpd is running as backuppc:backuppc, so I set:
>
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 backuppc backuppc 3998 Feb 19 10:35
> /var/www/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin
>
> my data_dir for backuppc looks like:
>
> drwxr-x---  2 backuppc backuppc 4096 Mar  4 10:37 cpool
> drwxr-x---  3 backuppc backuppc 4096 Mar  4 10:37 pc
> drwxr-x---  2 backuppc backuppc 4096 Feb 19 10:35 pool
> drwxr-x---  2 backuppc backuppc 4096 Mar  3 16:23 trash
>
> And the /usr/local/BackupPC dir:
>
> drwxr-xr-x   2 backuppc backuppc 4096 Feb 19 10:35 bin
> drwxr-xr-x   2 backuppc backuppc 4096 Feb 19 10:35 doc
> drwxr-xr-x   4 backuppc backuppc 4096 Feb 19 10:35 lib
>

> But still no joy.
>
> Ideas?
>
> TIA
>

>> Regards,
>> Tyler
>>
>> --
>> "Laws are never as effective as habits."
>>  -- Adlai Stevenson

> ---
> Jim Summers
> School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma

---