BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup From Web Browser

2010-03-04 16:50:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup From Web Browser
From: "Summers, James B. II" <jsummers AT ou DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 21:48:37 +0000
On Mar 4, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Tyler J. Wagner wrote:

> On Thursday 04 March 2010 15:22:34 Summers, James B. II wrote:
>> Might be on to something here.  When at the client I try to initiate an
>> incremental backup.  Which according to the docs should happen at any
>> time.  I modified some file so I am sure there is something to backup.
>>
>> The first messages come back as reply from server ok doInc, or something
>> close to that.  But then when I go back to the hompage of that client I
>> noticed that the "Failed Ping" count keeps increasing.  And the client log
>> file never shows that anything was initiated, but the server log file
>> shows the request.
>
> What distro?

RHEL4

>  Installed from what source?

tarball from the sourceforge site.

> Installing on Ubuntu hardy from the distro packages, most files are owned by
> root:root with normal permissions.  Excecptions:
>
> -rwsr-x---   backuppc www-data   /usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin/index.cgi
>
> drwxr-xr-x   backuppc www-data   /etc/backuppc
> -rw-r--r--   backuppc www-data     /etc/backuppc/apache.conf
> -rw-r-----   backuppc www-data  /etc/backuppc/config.pl
> -rw-r-----   backuppc www-data   /etc/backuppc/hosts
> drwxr-x---   backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc
> drwxr-x---  backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc/cpool
> drwxr-x---  backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc/pc
> drwxr-x---  backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc/pool
> drwxr-x---  backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc/trash
>
> The web server runs as www-data:www-data, can read the cgi, and the cgi runs
> as setuid backuppc.  Then the backuppc user can read/write anything else that
> matters.  I suppose the most obvious thing to check is "what user does your
> index.cgi run as?"

My httpd is running as backuppc:backuppc, so I set:

-r-xr-xr-x  1 backuppc backuppc 3998 Feb 19 10:35
/var/www/cgi-bin/BackupPC_Admin

my data_dir for backuppc looks like:

drwxr-x---  2 backuppc backuppc 4096 Mar  4 10:37 cpool
drwxr-x---  3 backuppc backuppc 4096 Mar  4 10:37 pc
drwxr-x---  2 backuppc backuppc 4096 Feb 19 10:35 pool
drwxr-x---  2 backuppc backuppc 4096 Mar  3 16:23 trash

And the /usr/local/BackupPC dir:

drwxr-xr-x   2 backuppc backuppc 4096 Feb 19 10:35 bin
drwxr-xr-x   2 backuppc backuppc 4096 Feb 19 10:35 doc
drwxr-xr-x   4 backuppc backuppc 4096 Feb 19 10:35 lib

But still no joy.

Ideas?

TIA

> Regards,
> Tyler
>
> --
> "Laws are never as effective as habits."
>   -- Adlai Stevenson

---
Jim Summers
School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma