BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup From Web Browser

2010-03-05 15:10:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup From Web Browser
From: "Summers, James B. II" <jsummers AT ou DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 20:09:22 +0000
On Mar 5, 2010, at 12:11 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> On 3/5/2010 11:21 AM, Summers, James B. II wrote:
>>
>> Well a reinstall of the OS is not totally out of the question but will have
>> to be a last resort.
>>
>> My latest attempt was to wipe off all config files and binaries.  Then did a
>> re-install of BackupPC.  I also have the suid stuff working in the webserver
>> now.  But I am confused on whether it is using mod_perl or not?  If so, I
>> need to remove the suid bit?
>>
>> I reconfigured a host and then went to that host and asked for a full
>> backup.  Same results.  The odd thing is that the first check comes back as
>> ok.  But when you go back to the host page, the failed ping count has
>> increased.
>>
>> All firewalls have been turned off and I can ping each address from each end
>> of the pipe.
>>
>> I think this is probably the underlying issue, but I can not get a log to
>> help me.
>>
>> Is there a way to run in debug mode or turn up log level?  I found a setting
>> to increase the verbosity of XFER, but I do not think I am getting that far?
>
> If you installed from the tarball you should know if you use mod_perl
> because you don't unless you enabled it in the httpd config yourself.

Wat I meant to say was, is the mod_perl working the way I config'd it?  But
what I have done since, is totally disable mod_perl and attempt to do a backup
from the host.  Still no joy and the ping failure is increasing each attempt.

> Are you using SElinux?  That's a common cause of mysterious problems,
> especially when adding things not specifically packaged for the
> distribution.

No, it always causes grief.

# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
#       enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
#       permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
#       disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
SELINUX=disabled
# SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
#       targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
#       strict - Full SELinux protection.
SELINUXTYPE=targeted

The configured ping command is:

$pingPath -c 1 -w 3 $host

and from the command line on the server:
/bin/ping -c 1 -w 3 129.15.78.102
64 bytes from 129.15.78.102: icmp_seq=0 ttl=128 time=1.46 ms

--- 129.15.78.102 ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.469/1.469/1.469/0.000 ms, pipe 2

and on the host it can ping back to the server as well from a command prompt.

Hmmmmmmm....

Ideas?

Thanks!

> --
>   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com

---
Jim Summers
School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma