BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup From Web Browser

2010-03-03 16:40:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup From Web Browser
From: "Summers, James B. II" <jsummers AT ou DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 21:38:32 +0000
Another data point:

If I use a web browser from the server and attempt to initiate a backup,  I get
the message stating that being that the pc is a dhcp host and it must be
started from the client because it can not resolve the netbios name.

Which is odd because it can do it from the command line using nmblookup and:

./BackupPC_dump -v -f jbsoffice

Hmmmmmm.....

On Mar 3, 2010, at 3:06 PM, Summers, James B. II wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2010, at 11:24 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> On 3/3/2010 11:12 AM, Summers, James B. II wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I am running backuppc-3.2.0beta1 on a linux host.
>>>
>>> The linux host is on a different network than the computers that are to be
>>> backed up.
>>>
>>> I have gotten things configured and can backup a computer from the command
>>> line on the server.  But when I try to initiate a backup from the client
>>> through the web interface, nothing happens.  I get the 'Server replied ok'
>>> message and it appears that it will work.  But no backup occurs.
>>>
>>> So far the log files have not led me to the problem either.
>>
>> Being on a different network shouldn't matter if you can resolve the
>> target name and aren't blocked by firewalls.  After you start a backup
>> from the web interface you should have some sort of entry in the
>> per-host log files.
>>

> This is really odd.  I can restore a file from a backup that was done on the
> command line.  But I still can not initiate a backup from the browser.
>
> Here is the logfile for the client:
>

> 2010-03-03 15:00:20 restore started for share DocumentsandSettings
> 2010-03-03 15:00:21 restore 0 complete (1 files, 312 bytes, 0 dirs, 0
> xferErrs)
>
> and then here is the server logfile showing where I have repeatedly tried to
> start a backup:
>
> 2010-03-03 14:58:27 BackupPC started, pid 6441
> 2010-03-03 14:58:27 Running BackupPC_trashClean (pid=6442)
> 2010-03-03 14:58:27 Next wakeup is 2010-03-04 05:00:00
> 2010-03-03 14:58:51 User jsummers requested backup of jbsoffice
> (10.194.10.227)
> 2010-03-03 15:00:20 User jsummers requested restore to jbsoffice
> (10.194.10.227)
> 2010-03-03 15:00:20 Started restore on jbsoffice (pid=6475)
> 2010-03-03 15:00:21 Finished restore on jbsoffice
> 2010-03-03 15:01:08 User jsummers requested backup of jbsoffice
> (10.194.10.227)
>

> The error log for httpd shows no problems.
>
> Not sure which way to go now.
>
> Ideas / Suggestions?
>
> Thanks again
>

>> --
>>  Les Mikesell
>>   lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com

> ---
> Jim Summers
> School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma

---