BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup From Web Browser

2010-03-04 15:40:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup From Web Browser
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: Undisclosed.Recipients:
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 20:39:29 +0000
On Thursday 04 March 2010 15:22:34 Summers, James B. II wrote:
> Might be on to something here.  When at the client I try to initiate an
>  incremental backup.  Which according to the docs should happen at any
>  time.  I modified some file so I am sure there is something to backup.
>
> The first messages come back as reply from server ok doInc, or something
>  close to that.  But then when I go back to the hompage of that client I
>  noticed that the "Failed Ping" count keeps increasing.  And the client log
>  file never shows that anything was initiated, but the server log file
>  shows the request.

What distro?  Installed from what source?

Installing on Ubuntu hardy from the distro packages, most files are owned by
root:root with normal permissions.  Excecptions:

-rwsr-x---   backuppc www-data   /usr/share/backuppc/cgi-bin/index.cgi

drwxr-xr-x   backuppc www-data   /etc/backuppc
-rw-r--r--   backuppc www-data     /etc/backuppc/apache.conf
-rw-r-----   backuppc www-data  /etc/backuppc/config.pl
-rw-r-----   backuppc www-data   /etc/backuppc/hosts
drwxr-x---   backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc
drwxr-x---  backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc/cpool
drwxr-x---  backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc/pc
drwxr-x---  backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc/pool
drwxr-x---  backuppc backuppc   /var/lib/backuppc/trash

The web server runs as www-data:www-data, can read the cgi, and the cgi runs
as setuid backuppc.  Then the backuppc user can read/write anything else that
matters.  I suppose the most obvious thing to check is "what user does your
index.cgi run as?"

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Laws are never as effective as habits."
   -- Adlai Stevenson