BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 2.x behavior desired on 3.1 install

2009-09-02 12:28:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 2.x behavior desired on 3.1 install
From: Jon Craig <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 12:24:09 -0400
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 11:58 AM, James Ward<jeward AT torzo DOT com> wrote:
> I tried renicing everything:
>
> jeward@kw157:/usr/share/backuppc/bin$ head -2 BackupPC_nightly
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> setpriority(0, $$, -20);
>
> jeward@kw157:/usr/share/backuppc/bin$ head -2 BackupPC_dump
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> setpriority(0, $$, 20);

I believe that BackupPC_nightly is running as "backuppc" user and as
such can only reduce it priority (ie +20), not lower (ie -20).  Also,
you should check that the sub-processes to see if they properly
inherited this change.  My guess is it will still not have much affect
as your most likely IO bound and priority affects scheduling on the
processor, but doesn't prioritize IO.
--
Jonathan Craig