BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 2.x behavior desired on 3.1 install

2009-09-03 06:14:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 2.x behavior desired on 3.1 install
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 12:11:35 +0200
On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 12:40:45PM -0400, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

>  > IMO the easiest approach would be:
>  > - if BackupPC_nightly starts, it acquires a lock, then waits for backups
>  >   to complete
>  > - no new backups start until BackupPC_nightly finished
>  >
>  > This should be rather easy since it could be implemented at the central
>  > scheduling code - actually BackupPC_nightly wouldn't be started, just
>  > the flag would be set that it wants to.
>  >
>  > I would like such automatism (configurable, of course) as well since it
>  > just sucks to guess backup periods and to keep some time reserved for
>  > nightly maintenance.
>  >

> I like this idea and I agree it would be easy to implement.
> And by configurable, I assume you mean at a minimum the ability to
> turn on/off this option.

Exactly. Something like

# If set to 1, wait for running backups to complete before running
# BackupPC_nightly. Also, no new backups will be started until the
# nightly cleanup is finished.
$Conf{NoBackupsDuringBackupPCNightly} = 1;

By the way: The same should be configurable for the trash cleaner. It
does about the same to disk I/O as the nightly - it make the disk head
spin around like mad since a lot of virtually random inodes need to be
touched. Therefore, a config like

# Configure trash cleaning strategy:
# 1 = continuous - wake up every $Conf{TrashCleanSleepSec} and check for
#     files to delete (default pre 3.2 behaviour B-) )
# 2 = run only just before BackupPC_nightly - see
#     $Conf{DelayBackupsDuringBackupPCNightly} to disable backups during
#     that operation
$Conf{TrashCleanMethod} = 1;

Hm... does anybody volunteer to implement that? I could take a look and
try to figure out a patch but I've not yet digged into the BackupPC
scheduling code...

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de