BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 2.x behavior desired on 3.1 install

2009-09-04 13:53:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 2.x behavior desired on 3.1 install
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 12:49:00 -0500
Holger Parplies wrote:

> The point is that there are different usage scenarios for BackupPC. If you are
> backing up lots of hosts over slow links, you want to get all the parallelism
> you can, because your local server disk is not the limiting factor. Being able
> to run backups concurrently with BackupPC_nightly is a big step, especially if
> BackupPC_nightly takes a long time because you have a large pool.
>
> On the other hand, if your local server disk *is* your limiting factor, you
> probably want to *avoid* parallelism, because it effectively slows things
> down.
> Then again, you might not care about a slowdown, as long as your infrequently
> connected machines are backed up whenever they are connected, rather than
> waiting for other backups (or BackupPC_nightly) to finish first. So, different
> people have different requirements, and you might even have different
> requirements within a single BackupPC installation.
>
> How about this: if there were two "priorities" (lacking a better word), which
> you could assign to individual backups, BackupPC could take the above
> requirements into account (better than just with MaxBackups):

I think you are on the right track, but there is yet another scenario
that a better scheduler should handle.  The backup site may be a central
location with an assortment of different network paths to groups of
target machines.  In this situation, you want limit concurrency on the
'fast' networks to what the disk can handle or allow some 'slow'
connections to overlap.  And you may want to permit concurrency across
all of the 'slow' network connections but restrict to just one target at
a time down each path.