BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 2.x behavior desired on 3.1 install

2009-09-01 13:35:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 2.x behavior desired on 3.1 install
From: Steve <leperas AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 13:29:45 -0400
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Jeffrey J.
Kosowsky<backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote at about 11:46:42 -0500 on Tuesday, September 1, 2009:
>  > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>  > > Steve wrote at about 12:02:32 -0400 on Tuesday, September 1, 2009:
>  > >  > Is there a parameter that sets priority of once backup over another,
>  > >  > or do all the BackupPC_dump processes start at the same level?  Maybe
>  > >  > that would be a $Conf that could be added...
>  > >  > evets
>  > >
>  > > That sounds like an interesting suggestion.
>  > >
>  > > But for your purposes where it seems like you want to de-prioritize
>  > > all dumps relative to BackupPC_nightly, maybe just alias the relevant
>  > > commands in _InstallDir/bin to include the nice.
>  > >
>  >
>  > I don't think priorities will make much difference.  This is much more
>  > about disk head position than CPU timeslices.  If the nightly process
>  > runs at all it's going to keep yanking the head away from where the
>  > backup runs want it to be.
>  >
>
> Well, then you could always wrap Backup_nightly in a script that
> renices priorities of dump prices to 20 - but that is a certainly not
> pretty and also that assumes that you are running nightly outside of
> your backup window so that no new dumps start...

Upon reflection, I think Les' point is the most valid - any
competition is going to slow things down and the nice level won't help
a lot.  So maybe the $Conf could be a "suspend backups until nightly
admin completed"; that way you wouldn't have to guess a length of
"dark" time; backups would just suspend themselves (leaving partials)
when the admin started, and then resume when it finished...  You could
still specify the time of the admins as we do now for the slowest time
of day.

steve

"It turns out there is considerable overlap between the smartest bears
and the dumbest tourists."