BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 2.x behavior desired on 3.1 install

2009-09-01 12:05:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 2.x behavior desired on 3.1 install
From: Steve <leperas AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 12:02:32 -0400
Is there a parameter that sets priority of once backup over another,
or do all the BackupPC_dump processes start at the same level?  Maybe
that would be a $Conf that could be added...
evets

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Jeffrey J.
Kosowsky<backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
> James Ward wrote at about 08:16:18 -0700 on Tuesday, September 1, 2009:
>  > All,
>  >
>  > I'm reposting this as I evidently tried to steal a thread before.
>  >
>  > Since upgrading a very busy BackupPC server to 3.1, it's been falling
>  > farther and farther behind due to disk  contention between the nightly
>  > admin jobs and backups which ran 24x7 on the 2.x set up.  I asked for
>  > help here and the only suggestion I got was to carve out a window of
>  > time for the admin jobs to run.  This is all well and good, but seems
>  > very inefficient, and as I experiment with the settings, the server
>  > continues to get further and further behind.  Is it possible to
>  > replicate the 2.x behavior where backups stop, the admin jobs run, and
>  > then backups start again?
>  >
>
> While this would not be ideal, could you potentially use 'nice' to
> give lower priority to the dumps relative to BackupPC_Nightly? If you
> are using a dedicated backup server you might be able to tune the
> priority numbers such that the dumps "effectively" halt while the
> higher priority BackupPC_Nightly runs.

"It turns out there is considerable overlap between the smartest bears
and the dumbest tourists."