BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 2.x behavior desired on 3.1 install

2009-09-02 01:20:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 2.x behavior desired on 3.1 install
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: James Ward <jeward AT torzo DOT com>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 22:15:56 -0700
James writes:

> I'm reposting this as I evidently tried to steal a thread before.
>
> Since upgrading a very busy BackupPC server to 3.1, it's been falling
> farther and farther behind due to disk  contention between the nightly
> admin jobs and backups which ran 24x7 on the 2.x set up.  I asked for
> help here and the only suggestion I got was to carve out a window of
> time for the admin jobs to run.  This is all well and good, but seems
> very inefficient, and as I experiment with the settings, the server
> continues to get further and further behind.  Is it possible to
> replicate the 2.x behavior where backups stop, the admin jobs run, and
> then backups start again?

There isn't a direct way to do this.  You can spread
BackupPC_nightly's job over several nights (ie: less done each
night) with $Conf{BackupPCNightlyPeriod}.  You could also increase
$Conf{MaxBackupPCNightlyJobs}, but I doubt that's a good idea if
your server is already very busy.

Could it be that you are now backing up more data than before, and
your overall server capacity is no longer sufficient?

Craig