BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?

2008-11-23 17:24:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?
From: Tim Connors <tconnors AT astro.swin.edu DOT au>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:07:36 +1100 (EST)
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, tmassey AT obscorp DOT com wrote:

> My biggest worry regarding these outside-of-BackupPC hacks is that when I
> need them, I'm going to find that they're not going to work because it was
> running, say, simultaneous to an actual backup.
>
> Don't get me wrong:  I'll take the hacks.  It's better than nothing.  I,
> like I think *most* of us, would kill (or even pay for!) a method of
> replicating a pool in a guaranteed-correct way, especially at the host or
> even backup level.  But I still worry about using these hacks for
> production.

What if you did an lvm snapshot of the pool before while you knew no
backups/nightlies etc were running, then rsynced/dded the lvm snapshot?

Speaking of which - I'm still, several months later, writing a script that
backuppc can use to sync to lvm snapshots.  If only I wasn't so busy
screwing around doing other things.  Has anyone done similar?

--
Tim Connors