BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Possible BackupPC_dump problem

2008-11-23 13:55:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Possible BackupPC_dump problem
From: "Shawn Austin" <ravage382 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 13:53:18 -0500
Thanks for the prompt response.

Unfortunately, the file in question is still on the machine.
If I look in the backup history from the interface, it has some rather odd results.

KB938828.logv0  v0  v0  v0
KB938829.logv0  v0  v0  v0
KB941202.logv0  v0  v0  v0
This is from backup set 14-20, with backup 14 being a full backup.

Every other backup shows that the file was not present in the backupset.  The backup after a file does not show up will again have the file listed in the backup set correctly.
When I browse the backup sets with the web interface, the backups that show the file as deleted do in fact not have it listed.  The next backup will look fine.
14 full yes 0 11/22 20:43 11.1 0.7 /data/BackupPC/pc/pcname/14
15 incr no ARRAY(0x129aa80) 11/22 20:56 4.0 0.7 /data/BackupPC/pc/pcname/15
16 incr no ARRAY(0x129aa80) 11/22 21:01 12.6 0.7 /data/BackupPC/pc/pcname/16
17 incr no ARRAY(0x129aa80) 11/22 21:20 3.9 0.7 /data/BackupPC/pc/pcname/17
18 incr yes (14) ARRAY(0x129aa80) 11/22 21:36 13.4 0.7 /data/BackupPC/pc/pcname/18
19 incr yes (18) ARRAY(0x12dcdc0) 11/22 21:56 4.1 0.7 /data/BackupPC/pc/pcname/19
20 incr yes (19) ARRAY(0x12dcdc0) 11/22 22:03 12.0 0.7 /data/BackupPC/pc/pcname/20

The odd backups are the ones that are showing the problems.  What I found as odd was the times were so much shorter for the backup.

This behavior is showing up on every machine that is being backed up.
Originally I ran into this problem with version 3.0.0 of BackupPC.  I upgraded to BackupPC 3.1.0 and started with another full and then incremental and had the same results

Thanks,

Shawn Austin

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 1:32 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote:
Shawn Austin wrote at about 13:26:02 -0500 on Sunday, November 23, 2008:
 > Hello all,
 >
 > Recently, when I went to restore a directory, I ran into a problem where the
 > files were not listed in the backup interface.
 > I checked the attrib file for that directory with BackupPC_attribPrint and I
 > was surprised by what I saw.
 > For all the files that were not showing up in the interface, the values in
 > the attrib file were consistently wrong.
 > Example:
 >
 >  'KB938828.log' => {
 >     'uid' => 0,
 >     'mtime' => 0,
 >     'mode' => 0,
 >     'size' => 0,
 >     'sizeDiv4GB' => 0,
 >     'type' => 10,
 >     'gid' => 0,
 >     'sizeMod4GB' => 0
 >   },
 >   'RSETPATH.exe' => {
 >     'uid' => 0,
 >     'mtime' => 0,
 >     'mode' => 0,
 >     'size' => 0,
 >     'sizeDiv4GB' => 0,
 >     'type' => 10,
 >     'gid' => 0,
 >     'sizeMod4GB' => 0
 >   },
 >   'KB920213.log' => {
 >     'uid' => 0,
 >     'mtime' => 0,
 >     'mode' => 0,
 >     'size' => 0,
 >     'sizeDiv4GB' => 0,
 >     'type' => 10,
 >     'gid' => 0,
 >     'sizeMod4GB' => 0
 > },
 >
 > The files that were showing up correctly had attributes listed in the attrib
 > file that seemed normal.
 > Has anyone else seen this problem?  Would this be caused by BackupPC_dump,
 > or is there something else I should investigate?
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Shawn Austin
This is not a bug but a feature!
It's exactly correct.
The type=10 key signals that the file has been deleted and all the other
attribute keys are set to zero since they have no meaning.

If you didn't have such a "blocking" entry, then previous versions of
the file would show through, since files otherwise inherit the
visibility of previous incremental backups.