BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?

2008-11-17 21:31:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:29:19 -0700
I use rsync v3 on a pool of about 280GB and about a few million files.  With rsync v3, the writes start within a few seconds of starting the sync and it traverses the entire pool in 10-20 minutes.  I only transfer about 3-4GB of files each night with rsync reducing that to about 1GB over a T1 at 196KB/s in about 1.5-2 hours.  Considering the transfer itself is going to take 90 minutes just by bandwidth restrictions, this is not bad.  I used to run this on rsync 2.x but it took at least 3 hours to complete as the initial file list would take ages and ages.  I also began push memory off to swap to make room for rsync which ground system performance to a halt.

I think that you can use rsync v3 (on both sides) to sync pools without issue.

I'm assuming that you are using linux here also.  With *solaris you have the zfs option as well.

I did some research a while back to use a cluster filesystem for the storage pool but all cluster filesystems have much lower I/O performance than an on-disk filesystem.

Also, I did try to do some software raid mirroring over iscsi but did not do much more that basic testing.  The problem here is that the raid mirroring is syncronous so the slow iscsi connection will effect backup performance quite a bit.  I couldnt find any info on making the linux software raid work in async mode with the local drive being the priority drive.

Unfortunately ZFS only does 2 redundant device raid workalike and you would want more redundancy to make this work.  If you could do raidz* with any number of redundant drives you could also put local disk cache and log drives in place and let zfs handle the slow link on iscsi.

local                             |                   remote
disk1 disk2 disk3          |        disk4 disk5 disk6
disk7=log,disk8=cache  |

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Ermanno Novali <ermanno AT steamware DOT net> wrote:
> Yes use dd (or even better dd-rescue that is restartable and gives progress
> indication) for big pools. For smaller pools you might use "cp -a" or "rsync
> -aH" (restartable). You have to find out the practical upper limit for the
> latter methods depending on your requirements.

Thanks for dd-rescue suggestion, i'll take a look at it

> Another alternative is to use at least three disks in a rotating scheme and
> RAID1. (Those of you who have been reading the list for more than a few days are
> getting tired of hearing this by now, I imagine...!) Say you have three disks
> labeled 1, 2 and 3. Then you would rotate them according to the schedule below,
> which guarantees that:
> - there is always at least one disk in the BackupPC server.
> - there is always at least one disk in the off-site storage.
> - all disks are never at the same location.
>
> 1 2 3   (a = attached, o = off-site)
> a o o
> a a o -> RAID sync
> o a o
> o a a -> RAID sync
> o o a
> a o a -> RAID sync
> . . .

i'll try this too, where i have a raid or i need it
thanks!

Ermanno