BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?

2008-11-17 21:55:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?
From: tmassey AT obscorp DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:54:30 -0500

dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 11/17/2008 09:29:19 PM:

> I use rsync v3 on a pool of about 280GB and about a few million
> files.  With rsync v3, the writes start within a few seconds of
> starting the sync and it traverses the entire pool in 10-20 minutes.
> I only transfer about 3-4GB of files each night with rsync reducing
> that to about 1GB over a T1 at 196KB/s in about 1.5-2 hours.
> Considering the transfer itself is going to take 90 minutes just by
> bandwidth restrictions, this is not bad.

How does this work while running this simultaneously with, say, a backup (or link or nightly or whatever)?  Do you worry about that, or do you just try to make sure the two don't run simultaneously?

My biggest worry regarding these outside-of-BackupPC hacks is that when I need them, I'm going to find that they're not going to work because it was running, say, simultaneous to an actual backup.

Don't get me wrong:  I'll take the hacks.  It's better than nothing.  I, like I think *most* of us, would kill (or even pay for!) a method of replicating a pool in a guaranteed-correct way, especially at the host or even backup level.  But I still worry about using these hacks for production.

Tim Massey