BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?

2008-11-18 10:59:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?
From: tmassey AT obscorp DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 05:53:17 -0500

Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de> wrote on 11/18/2008 03:34:45 AM:

> > I think that you can use rsync v3 (on both sides) to sync pools without
> > issue.
> > I'm assuming that you are using linux here also.  With *solaris you have
> > the zfs option as well.
> > I did some research a while back to use a cluster filesystem for the
> > storage pool but all cluster filesystems have much lower I/O performance
> > than an on-disk filesystem.
>
> My way to backup the backup ;-) is LVM
>
> The pool is on a LVM as a LV. To backup the pool while backuppc is
> running I can take a snapshot of the pool's LV and I rsync this one. So
> there are no filesystem issues and backuppc can stay running while the
> rsync is running.

I've been looking into this for a while now, both for BackupPC and for VMWare.

How do you syncronize the snapshot with BackupPC to ensure that you are getting a consistent snapshot.  For VMWare Server, that means shutting down the guests, taking the snapshot, and starting the guests, which is disruptive to say the least.  (ESX Server has tools for doing this internal to the VM system.)  Do you do the same for BackupPC?  Or do you just hope that you're getting a consistent snapshot?

Tim Massey