BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?

2008-11-23 17:35:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?
From: Tim Connors <tconnors AT astro.swin.edu DOT au>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:17:53 +1100 (EST)
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Adam Goryachev wrote:

Christian Völker wrote:
My way to backup the backup ;-) is LVM

The pool is on a LVM as a LV. To backup the pool while backuppc is
running I can take a snapshot of the pool's LV and I rsync this one. So
there are no filesystem issues and backuppc can stay running while the
rsync is running.
Works like a champ!

Except your filesystem is not in a stable state. You should stop
backuppc, umount your filesystem, then take your snapshot, and then
remount filesystem, start backuppc, and finally copy the snapshot
remotely as needed....

With your existing method, you should fsck your filesystem after it is
copied to the remote location....

BTW, 99% of the time it won't matter, but if it screws up that one time
when you need it, then oops :(

Actually, lvm hooks into most filesystems including ext3 to make sure they are self consistent at the point of snapshot.

See http://www.google.com/groups?selm=9JzNW-6b3-3 AT gated-at.bofh DOT it

Note that a 'fsck -p' is needed on the snapshot, but it will only encounter orphaned inodes if all has gone well (and if all hasn't gone well, then there are bigger problems with the real filesystem, and it should be rebooted and force fscked as soon as possible, as per the thread above).

--
Tim Connors