BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?

2008-11-17 17:52:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?
From: Martin Leben <ml060223 AT leben DOT nu>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:48:40 +0100
Ermanno Novali wrote:
> [...]
> I'd like to mirror the backuppc pool - I searched through ml archives
> and found that mirroring the backuppc pool (wherever it is) with rsync
> on an external hard drive isn't efficient and doesn't scale good -
> i've tried myself and is cpu and time consuming and very very long for
> big pools - not very reliable.
>
> So i've tried to mirror the pool with rdiff-backup, and it seems a
> little better, but not the optimal solution.
>
> In this ml the best solutions for this task are two hdd with pool on
> them (two external, or two in raid maybe) or dd form pool to external
> mirror disk - but NOT mirroring the backup with rsync or something
> like that - right? can you confirm that?
>
> And dd is time consuming like rsync but more reliable for backuppc pool?
>
> Thank you so much,
> have a nice day
>
> Ermanno

Hi,

Yes use dd (or even better dd-rescue that is restartable and gives progress
indication) for big pools. For smaller pools you might use "cp -a" or "rsync
-aH" (restartable). You have to find out the practical upper limit for the
latter methods depending on your requirements.

Another alternative is to use at least three disks in a rotating scheme and
RAID1. (Those of you who have been reading the list for more than a few days
are
getting tired of hearing this by now, I imagine...!) Say you have three disks
labeled 1, 2 and 3. Then you would rotate them according to the schedule below,
which guarantees that:
- there is always at least one disk in the BackupPC server.
- there is always at least one disk in the off-site storage.
- all disks are never at the same location.

1 2 3   (a = attached, o = off-site)
a o o
a a o -> RAID sync
o a o
o a a -> RAID sync
o o a
a o a -> RAID sync
. . .

On top of the RAID1 I recommend that you use LVM even though it might not be
strictly necessary right now if your backups fit on one disk. The reason for
doing that is when your disk are too small you can expand by using an second
set
of disks in a similar setup and add that second RAID1 to the volume.

Good luck!

/Martin