BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?

2008-11-17 09:32:52
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backuppc mirroring with rdiff-backup or not?
From: "Ermanno Novali" <ermanno AT steamware DOT net>
To: backuppc-users <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:31:19 +0100
Hi everyone,
i'm a backuppc user and i use it on several different linux servers,
with backuppc backupping in some cases to internal hdd, raid or external hdds.

I'd like to mirror the backuppc pool - I searched through ml archives
and found that mirroring the backuppc pool (wherever it is) with rsync
on an external hard drive isn't efficient and doesn't scale good -
i've tried myself and is cpu and time consuming and very very long for
big pools - not very reliable.

So i've tried to mirror the pool with rdiff-backup, and it seems a
little better, but not the optimal solution.

In this ml the best solutions for this task are two hdd with pool on
them (two external, or two in raid maybe) or dd form pool to external
mirror disk - but NOT mirroring the backup with rsync or something
like that - right? can you confirm that?

And dd is time consuming like rsync but more reliable for backuppc pool?

Thank you so much,
have a nice day

Ermanno