Amanda-Users

Re: gtar version

2007-05-18 15:50:24
Subject: Re: gtar version
From: Peter Kunst <peter.kunst AT swissrisk DOT com>
To: dustin AT zmanda DOT com
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 21:46:05 +0200
On 05/18/2007 09:29 PM, dustin AT zmanda DOT com wrote:
On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 02:52:50PM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 01:47:47PM -0500, dustin AT zmanda DOT com wrote:
On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 02:32:13PM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
Sorry, hate to ask this, but one of my DLE's has outgrown the
tape drive and I want to divide it into multiple TAR-DLE entries
but I'm having trouble finding an installable version of gtar that is a correct version for Amanda and my OS.

I'm running Solaris 9 and believe that I should use one of
gtar 1.13.19, 1.13.25, 1.15.1 per
The 1.15 series is preferred; see
  http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Installation#Dependencies
Newer being better, but is there a binary available that I can
install on my Solaris 9 system, if so, where can I download it from ?

Hopefully some of the Solaris folks around here can speak up (Chris?
Peter?).  AFAIK, sunfreeware.com is the place to go.  They only list
1.16 on the front page, but a look at ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/sparc/9/
shows:
  tar-1.13.19-sol9-sparc-local.gz
  tar-1.13.94-sol9-sparc-local.gz
  tar-1.14-sol9-sparc-local.gz
  tar-1.15.1-sol9-sparc-local.gz
  tar-1.16-sol9-sparc-local.gz

so perhaps one those will do the trick for you?

We run ufsdump on all Solaris clients. Only two Linux boxes run tar here. One runs 1.15.91 on SLES9, the other one runs 1.16 on Ubuntu7.04. Never tried another tar than 1.13.25 on Solaris, used together with amanda-2.4.5 some time ago, which worked fine.

 Peter