Amanda-Users

Re: gtar version

2007-05-18 16:47:49
Subject: Re: gtar version
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 16:33:29 -0400

Brian Cuttler wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 12:54:00PM -0700, Christopher McCrory wrote:
>
>> Hello...
>>
>> On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 14:32 -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, hate to ask this, but one of my DLE's has outgrown the
>>> tape drive
>>>
>> You might also try split/span
>>
>> http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Splitting_dumps_across_tapes
>>

> I totally agree, but I'm trying not to invest too much in a
> Solaris 9 but that I'm about to move the applications off of.
> If the compile on a back version of the OS was a little easier
> I wouldn't have to fool amdump into finding gtar...
>
> We sort of pained ourselves into a corner, didn't we.

Didn't you build amanda there? What makes it not easy?

When I was playing with wrappers for ufsdump, I rebuilt amanda several
times as I changed my understanding of how I was dealing with ufsdump
and the wrapper. If you haven't kept notes on the configure, it should
be in config.log. So, install your gnutar-1.15.1 from sunfreeware (and
the dependencies, libiconv, etc.), and then build amanda again, adding
"--with-gnutar=...". Shouldn't hurt a thing, since in virtually all
instances it will be just repeating itself and putting an identical
binary in place of the original build.

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator