Amanda-Users

Re: gtar version

2007-05-18 15:44:49
Subject: Re: gtar version
From: Brian Cuttler <brian AT wadsworth DOT org>
To: dustin AT zmanda DOT com
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 15:32:59 -0400
Dustin,

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 02:29:06PM -0500, dustin AT zmanda DOT com wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 02:52:50PM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:

> > > The 1.15 series is preferred; see
> > >   http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Installation#Dependencies
> >
> > Newer being better, but is there a binary available that I can
> > install on my Solaris 9 system, if so, where can I download it from ?
>
> Hopefully some of the Solaris folks around here can speak up (Chris?
> Peter?).  AFAIK, sunfreeware.com is the place to go.  They only list
> 1.16 on the front page, but a look at
>  ftp://ftp.sunfreeware.com/pub/freeware/sparc/9/
> shows:
>   tar-1.13.19-sol9-sparc-local.gz
>   tar-1.13.94-sol9-sparc-local.gz
>   tar-1.14-sol9-sparc-local.gz
>   tar-1.15.1-sol9-sparc-local.gz
>   tar-1.16-sol9-sparc-local.gz
>
> so perhaps one those will do the trick for you?

Thank you, that is what I needed, I hit the web page and as you said,
found only 1.16, the 1.15.1 should do the trick for sure.

Apparently the amanda binary I'm using didn't have GNUTAR defined,
I'm trying to put a binary on the amanda user's path so its found
anyway, even without a proper variable definition.

Linking (# ln -s)  GNUTAR to the binary will do the job ?
In what directory should I put the GNUTAR link ?

I love amanda, I truely do, it is a wonderful project. And with a little
more forthought I could have spend my afternoon doing something else.

                                                thank you,

                                                Brian

> Dustin
>
> --
>         Dustin J. Mitchell
>         Storage Software Engineer, Zmanda, Inc.
>         http://www.zmanda.com/
---
   Brian R Cuttler                 brian.cuttler AT wadsworth DOT org