Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?

2015-05-18 14:14:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 13:12:57 -0500
On 05/18/2015 12:27 PM, Florian Rist wrote:

> The whole thing about costs probably seams to be a bit ridiculous, but
> unfortunately there is niter money nor understanding for the need here
> right now. So I'm trying to figure out a cheap way to get to a working
> system that can be handled somehow.

A reference point probably irrelevant since you're on the other side of
the pond where prices are different: I just finished setting up a

supermicro 36+2-bay chassis
(http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/4U/6048/SSG-6048R-E1CR36H.cfm_

-- for $7070 came with with 2x8 AMDs, 64GB RAM, 2x 1TB SSD, and 10x 4TB
Seagate NAS HDD.

That adds up to 22TB raidz (raid-5 equivalent) zfs storage that with our
backup sizes should last for 6-8 months. There's 26 empty drive bays for
when we need more space.

Backing up to a single filesystem is low-maintentance with bacula: you
get auto-labeling, auto-recycling, etc.

I have another similar system on my todo list, that one's a (slightly
cheaper) 24+2 with the requirement to archive the backups long-term. So
we're using Josh's vchanger to treat the 3.5 drives as removable
"magazines". This is a bit trickier because you have to plan for disk
failures and bacula has no built-in facility for writing two copies of
the same backup to 2 disks at once. Plus tape changers require labeling
tapes and re-inventorying slots manually, so more operator work.

That's kinda what the hardware costs are like. (c.f. EUR 5K+ tape
library with no tapes nor a computer to hook it up to.)

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin