Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?

2015-05-18 11:15:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?
From: Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz>
To: Florian Rist <frist AT fs.tum DOT de>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 17:11:38 +0200
Florian Rist wrote (2015/05/17):
> I don't have the hardware yet. My plan is to get a small cheap server,
> some low cost CPU (some i3 Core), 6 TB HD (for spooling), a SAS
> controller and a LTO 5 or 6 drive (probably from Tandberg). I'll need to
> change tapes manually, any library solution seams to be to expensive.

Just try to ask several vendors and look at
http://www.oracle.com/us/products/servers-storage/storage/tape-storage/sl150-modular-tape-library/quantum-comp-i40-i500-wp-1704937.pdf
It is rather old (2012), but it shows that price differences may be
dramatical. For you, table 1 and line 1: Cheaply expandable 30-slot and one
LTO-5 drive SL150 cumulative cost 6000 USD against non-expandable 40-slot and
one LTO-5 drive i40 cumulative cost 13000 USD - but once again, it was 2012.

If you want to avoid tape back hitching, you have to have atleast:
HP LTO-5: 47 MB/s    IBM LTO-5: 40 MB/s
HP LTO-6: 54 MB/s    IBM LTO-6: 40 MB/s
(I'm sorry, I do not know anything about Tandberg LTOs.)
However, these speeds are just native speeds without compression,
so you have to be unpredictably faster in reality. Also, various
models can be somewhat different and there can be some prediction
logic, which can effectively change these requirements too. So the
best thing is to be as fast as possible :o) And I am afraid, that single
6 TB drive is not a good solution. It can be maybe sufficient if you first
spool the data, and then just unspool them to the tape, or using D2D2T,
but if you have spooling and unspooling at the same time, I do not think
that it will be considerate to your tape drive.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology