Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?

2015-05-20 19:50:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?
From: Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz>
To: Florian Rist <frist AT fs.tum DOT de>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 01:45:48 +0200
Florian Rist wrote (2015/05/18):
> Thanks for the numbers and pointing me to the spool/unspool problem.
> This can be fixed by using two hard drives, right?

In RAID-0? Let's hope so :o) However, I would rather use "better" instead
of "fixed". Another solution would be to allow just one parallel job, I'm
not sure about your expectations in this way.

> The whole thing about costs probably seams to be a bit ridiculous, but
> unfortunately there is niter money nor understanding for the need here
> right now. So I'm trying to figure out a cheap way to get to a working
> system that can be handled somehow. And I'm fully aware of the fact that
> the hardware investment costs will be a minor part in the actual long
> term overall costs.

The question is: Do you really need a tape solution? Isn't better for you
to start with disk based solution? For example, some HW RAID card with
8 or 16 internal ports (~ 300 or 500 EUR) with some 2-6 TB HDDs? And you
can reuse them after. Tape solutions are very interesting, but they usually
count with great number of tape media or with archival purposes or data
exchange.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology