Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?

2015-05-18 13:30:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?
From: Florian Rist <frist AT fs.tum DOT de>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 19:27:53 +0200
Hi Rudolf

> If you want to avoid tape back hitching, you have to have atleast:
> HP LTO-5: 47 MB/s    IBM LTO-5: 40 MB/s
> HP LTO-6: 54 MB/s    IBM LTO-6: 40 MB/s
> And I am afraid, that single 6 TB drive is not a good solution. It
> can be maybe sufficient if you first  spool the data, and then just
> unspool them to the tape, or using D2D2T, but if you have spooling
> and unspooling at the same time, I do not think that it will
> be considerate to your tape drive.

Thanks for the numbers and pointing me to the spool/unspool problem.
This can be fixed by using two hard drives, right?

The whole thing about costs probably seams to be a bit ridiculous, but
unfortunately there is niter money nor understanding for the need here
right now. So I'm trying to figure out a cheap way to get to a working
system that can be handled somehow. And I'm fully aware of the fact that
the hardware investment costs will be a minor part in the actual long
term overall costs.

See you
Flo