Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?

2015-05-17 06:50:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?
From: Albert Dengg <albert AT fsfe DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 12:30:04 +0200
On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 11:48:50AM +0200, Florian Rist wrote:
> > ​Yes, You can have full/differential/incremental backups in a
> > ​hard disk and then write once a week to tape. This is commonly
> > known as disk-to-disk-to-tape (D2D2T) backups.
>
> OK, in this case how much hard drive storage would I need? Enough to
> hold the full backup ore just a few TB for the weekly incremental
> backups?
well you need enougth space to store the full backup for the
duration of taking it to disk and then migration it to
tape...afterwards the space is free again.
the other option would be to utilize data spooling [0], for which
only need to have a (relativly) small amount of disk space.

> > ​What do you mean about "slow Network"? Could you be more specific?
>
> 100Mb/s and not the best topology, a few PC via VPN through 100 MBit/s
> LAN
>
> > Are your data go across wan links?​ There are lots of known cases
> > with Bacula working across wan links with no problems.
>
> No WAN, I just wondered if I need to ensure a minimum data throughout
> for the LTO. I member some problems in this respect with the DDS drive.
see above

regards,
albert

[0] <http://www.bacula.org/7.0.x-manuals/en/main/Data_Spooling.html>