Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?

2015-05-17 05:53:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?
From: Florian Rist <frist AT fs.tum DOT de>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 11:48:50 +0200
Hi Ana​,
thanks for your reply.

> ​The most recent tape drives technology are LTO-6. The LTO-6 tapes
> have a native capacity of 2.5 TB and up to 6.25 TB of compressed data.
> Unfortunately it is really difficult to reach such amount of data in a
> tape. Maybe a 1.5:1 compression rate depending on your data.

Compression rate will be not good here, as most of the data is image and
video data, usually already well compressed.

> So you will need more than one tape for a full backup and this will
> need
> manual intervention for changing tapes.

Yes, I know, as long as this is supported (and as far as I can see it
is) by Bracula that's fin. I remember it was difficult using Amanda in
1996 or so.

> If this is not a problem for you Bacula and an LTO drive is a
> feasible solution. Otherwise you should probably think about a tape
> library for this work.

Yes, a library would be good, but I cant afford one now. Maybe I could
get a old used library and replace the drive by a new one...

> ​Yes, You can have full/differential/incremental backups in a
> ​hard disk and then write once a week to tape. This is commonly
> known as disk-to-disk-to-tape (D2D2T) backups.

OK, in this case how much hard drive storage would I need? Enough to
hold the full backup ore just a few TB for the weekly incremental
backups?

> ​What do you mean about "slow Network"? Could you be more specific?

100Mb/s and not the best topology, a few PC via VPN through 100 MBit/s
LAN

> Are your data go across wan links?​ There are lots of known cases
> with Bacula working across wan links with no problems.

No WAN, I just wondered if I need to ensure a minimum data throughout
for the LTO. I member some problems in this respect with the DDS drive.

See you
Flo