Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?

2015-05-20 20:30:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?
From: Cejka Rudolf <cejkar AT fit.vutbr DOT cz>
To: Florian Rist <frist AT fs.tum DOT de>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 02:26:42 +0200
Florian Rist wrote (2015/05/18):
> The question is probably, what happens if a tape change is forgotten.
> Say I have scheduled backup job for the night and the tape is not change
> in the evening. Will this mess up everything or will the job
> automatically be run as soon as the needed tape becomes available?

In theory, it waits until tape becomes available, but in real world,
another events usually happen with result that backup is canceled.

> I seams to be possible to get cheap old used libraries. Is it possible
> to change the drive?
> I once did this a long time ago with a MOD library system. I was easy to
> do as the library was controlled via RS232 and did not at all
> communicate with the drive. Do modern LTO libraries work the same way?

It depends on library. It is even common that you connect just directly
to the drive - and the library is bridged using this drive. However, you
need a library drive and not just standalone internal or external drive.
And of course, expect that library drive is more expensive than standalone
drives. However, it is always better to look at particular library or
autoloader, which possibilities do you have.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology