Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?

2015-05-16 14:58:43
Subject: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?
From: Florian Rist <frist AT fs.tum DOT de>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 20:40:21 +0200
Hi,
I didn't have to take care of backups for quite a while, but now I'm
looking for a suitable solution to backup a small office.

A long time ago I used Amanda to backup a single server to DDS-2 tape.
This was in 1996 or so. The total volume to back up was about 2 GB.

Now I need to backup a bit more:

   file server, OS X, 6 TB, growing 1 TB per year
   web sever, Linux, 500 GB
   10 OSX clients, 5 TB total (probably less)
   10 Windows clients, 5 TB Total (probably less)
   a few virtual machines running Windows and Linux, 1 TB total

The volume of daily new data is usually rather small, a few hundred MB
probably but can reach several gigabyte from time to time.

I was thinking about using Amanda gain, but somehow I'm more interested
int o Bacula right now, my previous Amanda experience is so minimal and
total outdated that it's no reason to stick to Amanda.

So, what do you think, is a small dedicated backup server, Bacula an a
LTO drive a feasible solution?

A few more questions:
I it possible to buffer incremental backups on a rather small hard disk
and write them to tape once a week or so?

The Network is slow here, I'll not be able to reach the native write
speed of a LTO drive, is this a problem? I think I remember some issues
in this respect with the DDS drive, but that was a long time ago.

Any recommendations on the server hardware? The budget is small
unfortunately.

Any other comments?

Thanks
Flo