Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?

2015-05-18 08:12:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?
From: Ana Emília M. Arruda <emiliaarruda AT gmail DOT com>
To: Florian Rist <frist AT fs.tum DOT de>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 09:10:43 -0300
Hello Florian,

OK. So you will not need to much retention periods. With two fulls + differentials you have enough.

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 12:22 PM, Florian Rist <frist AT fs.tum DOT de> wrote:

> Your full backups could be divided into smaller ones to fill in one
> tape.

Is this something that I would have to take care of? I guess Bracula can
automatically span backups over multiple tapes.

​Yes. Bacula can automatically span backups over multiple tapes. In the case of using a standalone tape drive, you will need to change tapes manually. So, the idea of spliting your backups into smaller ones would allow you to have nightly full backups and not daily ones. And you would just need to change the tapes every day for the next nightly full backup job.​

> And you could run daily differential and full backups from
> different data. This way you could use a low cost storage array and
> your tape drive (which is your technology?).

I don't have the hardware yet. My plan is to get a small cheap server,
some low cost CPU (some i3 Core), 6 TB HD (for spooling), a SAS
controller and a LTO 5 or 6 drive (probably from Tandberg). I'll need to
change tapes manually, any library solution seams to be to expensive.
Changing tapes for the full backup will be bit annoying probably, and to
do so I have to run it during the day, but this seams possible as there
is not much going on on Fridays here.

​OK. In this case, I would do a not very usual configuration, but I´m quite sure that would work for you:

1) Have full backups running into tapes. One job per night using a "splited" fileset that fits in one tape.
2) Daily differential backup jobs for what is not being backup up in the full backup job going into the disk.​

​Supposing you are going to use LTO-6 tapes and the native capacity for this technology, in 8 days you will have a full set of your full backup jobs. And the other days you will have differential ones in disk.​

Does any one know the book on Bacula from Philipp Storz? Is it useful to
get started? I'm thinking about getting it.

​I would recommend you to look for tutorials on Internet. There are lots of them.

See you
Flo

​Regards,
Ana​