Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?

2015-05-20 04:10:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is Bacula and a LTO drive right for me?
From: Luc Van der Veken <lucvdv AT wimionline DOT com>
To: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 08:06:12 +0000
You said it yourself: RAID. Not magic, it is only writing on multiple disks in
parallel.

The disks I have in my NAS are WD Reds, rated at 112 MB/s and performance
tested (by Tom's Hardware) to write at speeds from about 70 MB/s (center of the
disk) to about 150 MB/s (outside).

I've seen much higher speeds in my NAS, where they are configured in a 12 drive
array with 2 parity disks.
The NAS has two 1 GB network interfaces bonded together to 2 Gbit. That
translates to roughly 250 MB/s, but the network is *still* more of a bottleneck
than the disks.

The disks only become the deciding factor when there's a lot of non-sequential
access (many people using it at the same time, plus it's also doubling as the
iSCSI store for a few less important VMWare virtual machines).