Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks

2013-05-28 15:12:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 14:09:24 -0500
On 05/28/2013 01:41 PM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> I am wondering why and how you come up with ideas
> that don't correspond to what Bacula actually does.

Perhaps because all I know about what Bacula actually does is what I
read in the manual. (Don't get me wrong, it's no worse than the manuals
I write for my code -- that's why I'm on this ML & keep asking you.)

> Every Device resource that is referenced by a virtual Autochanger
> resource in bacula-sd.conf is equivalent to a tape drive. The
> Volumes that have been created are equivalent to the slots,
> you get one slot per Volume -- as many as you want.

Please spell this out in simple words: I have 2 Devices in the
Autochanger, each Device can hold 5 Volume files. Bacula writes 5
Volumes on Device-1, Device 1 is now full. What you're saying is bacula
will *not* write Volume-6 to Device-2, is that correct? (That's
certainly what's happening here.)

What is the point of the virtual autochanger then? What is the intended
usage scenario?

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin