Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks

2013-05-24 10:06:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 09:03:11 -0500
On 2013-05-24 00:42, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:

> No. This solution was first proposed by me in this thread with a mail
> from 3 May 2013 17:04. Then Kern (a week later) was suggested that it is
> a good solution too. It will require some kind of RAID or LVM for proper
> work. AFAIR You rejected this kind of setup:

I rejected it because it's not a "changer". You concatenate all your
disks into one large "device" and write to it. That's fine, at another
client I've a bacula setup that's been working that way perfectly well
for years. In this particular case treating individual disks like tapes,
incl. the ability to archive them, is the requirement.

Frankly, I fail to make any sense of all this: if you have your disks
concatenated into a raid or lvm, why would you then list them in
separate Device sections grouped into an Autochanger? You just use your
raid as the one Device (its component disks are inaccessible
individually anyway).

Dimitri