Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks

2013-05-27 04:47:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 10:43:31 +0200
Hello,

2013/5/24 Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>

Frankly, I fail to make any sense of all this: if you have your disks concatenated into a raid or lvm, why would you then list them in separate Device sections grouped into an Autochanger?

Because one Bacula Device can handle only one Bacula volume at a time. If you want to write to more Bacula volumes concurrent then you will need more Bacula devices. If you will use Bacula Autochanger then you can get automatic Bacula Device selection.

You just use your raid as the one Device (its component disks are inaccessible individually anyway).

By default Bacula do not handle Hard Disk Drivers directly (read/write to the /dev/sda device file - like it does with tapes on /dev/nst0). The most common usage of HDD in Bacula is to create a filesystem and write a bunch of Bacula volumes on top of it. If you want to simulate a tape drive with tapes trough separate HDD's with direct access then you need to use some kind of glue script like vchanger (but I am not sure if vchanger will use direct hdd access not through filesystem and files). Then you can get all you need, especially smooth hdd (device) swap after full write or hdd offline storage, like with tapes. It is possible to write a such script will fit your needs. Some time ago I wrote a script which handled two tape autochangers like one in Bacula config without a problem.

Your requirements are not common. So, most people on the list tried to entourage a common best practices.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net