Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks

2013-05-10 12:59:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 11:56:06 -0500
On 05/10/2013 10:10 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On 05/10/2013 04:12 PM, Martin Simmons wrote:
>> Can you indicate where the kludge is please?
> Changer Command = ""
> and
> Changer Device = /dev/null

AAAARGHH!!! maybe I should have posted this

> 1. Autochanger.
>
> Can I just omit the "Changer Command =" (or set it to /bin/true) and
> it'll magically work?
>
> Or do I have to have a "fake autochanger" script -- and if I do, how is
> it supposed to work...

to the -devel list because clearly no-one who can answer it reads the
-users.

> It was so simple that in the beginning I couldn't believe that it
> would work correctly in all cases, but it does.

Yes, I believe I expressed my surprise that bacula doesn't seem to
support something that simple, only to be told that bacula is
multithreaded and therefore it's very complicated.

I read the the autochanger resource section in TFM before starting this
thread. There's no way anyone can possible figure out that setting
 Changer Command = ""
 Changer Device = /dev/null
will work and not send your backups to /dev/null. So don't be surprised
that no one mentioned Bacula's built-in virtual autochanger feature that
has been there for years -- nobody knew about it until just now.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin