Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks

2013-05-10 11:13:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 17:10:17 +0200
On 05/10/2013 04:12 PM, Martin Simmons wrote:
>> I am a bit surprised that no one mentioned Bacula's built-in virtual
>> autochanger feature that has been there for years.  The syntax for
>> enabling it is a bit of a  "kludge" in my opinion, but it is the way
>> that Bacula
>> Systems is recommending to handle multiple disk backup.
>>
>> In the bacula-dir.conf file, define the autochanger in
>> the normal way for a physical tape autochanger library.
>>
>> In the bacula-sd.conf, one defines:
>>
>> Autochanger {
>>     Name = FileChgr1
>>     Device = FileChgr1-Dev1, FileChgr1-Dev2
>>     Changer Command = ""
>>     Changer Device = /dev/null
>> }
>>
>> Device {
>>     Name = FileChgr1-Dev1
>>     Media Type = File1
>>     Archive Device = /tmp
>>     LabelMedia = yes          # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
>>     Random Access = Yes
>>     AutomaticMount = yes      # when device opened, read it
>>     RemovableMedia = no
>>     AlwaysOpen = no
>>     Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
>> }
>>
>> Device {
>>     Name = FileChgr1-Dev2
>>     Media Type = File1
>>     Archive Device = /tmp
>>     LabelMedia = yes          # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
>>     Random Access = Yes
>>     AutomaticMount = yes      # when device opened, read it
>>     RemovableMedia = no
>>     AlwaysOpen = no
>>     Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
>> }
> Can you indicate where the kludge is please?
Changer Command = ""
and
Changer Device = /dev/null

I probably should have called the resource VirtualChanger.  I guess I can
still do so ...

> Also, do the Device resources need AutoChanger = yes like in the other
> examples?
No, and I you don't need the Drive Index = either, since in both cases
it is not a real autochanger.  The autochanger code is called, but when it
sees it is a virtual changer, it just returns, and the Bacula SD core
code just handles it correctly.  The main effect of this form of the
Autochanger resource is to group the Devices so you can access
any one of them with a single name.   If you start using different
directories as Archive Device names, there might be problems, unless
you make a simultaneous change to the Media Type.

It was so simple that in the beginning I couldn't believe that it
would work correctly in all cases, but it does.

Kern