Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks

2013-05-24 01:46:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2013 07:42:30 +0200
Hello,

2013/5/24 Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
On 05/10/2013 07:31 AM, John Drescher wrote:
>> I am a bit surprised that no one mentioned Bacula's built-in virtual
>> autochanger feature that has been there for years.  The syntax for
>> enabling it is a bit of a  "kludge" in my opinion, but it is the way that
>> Bacula
>> Systems is recommending to handle multiple disk backup.
>
> It's been in there for years I know that however I get the sense that
> its usage is not recommended from mostly older mailing list posts from
> you and others on the development team.

Moreover, this

> Device {
>   Name = FileChgr1-Dev1
>   Media Type = File1
>   Archive Device = /tmp
> Device {
>   Name = FileChgr1-Dev2
>   Media Type = File1
>   Archive Device = /tmp

together with this

> Needless to say ...  you can have a large number of drives in each [autochanger]

means "a large number of drives" need to be all mounted in /tmp at the
same time -- or there's some other crucial bit of information missing.

No. This solution was first proposed by me in this thread with a mail from 3 May 2013 17:04. Then Kern (a week later) was suggested that it is a good solution too. It will require some kind of RAID or LVM for proper work. AFAIR You rejected this kind of setup:

>> (Radek):
>> Why not to use LVM or RAID to use all available hard disk space (12 x sata)
>> for backups? Believe me, it is simpler to create a single filesystem for
>> backups then use vchanger script (it is overcomplicated and IMVHO useless).
> (Dimitri):
> Yes, and in a place that doesn't have 10 years retention policy I have a
> 36-drive box that's set up exactly like that. Unfortunately this
> installation comes with different requirements.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski
radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net