Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks

2013-05-03 16:45:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 15:41:04 -0500
On 05/03/2013 02:53 PM, Josh Fisher wrote:

> On 5/3/2013 1:37 PM, Dimitri Maziuk wrote:

>> Ideally one should be able to specify multiple Device's in the Storage
>> and have bacula write to them in turn until all get full. A couple of
>> extra "for" loops and another list is basically all it takes to support
>> that, so I'm slightly surprised it's not there already.
>
> Well, I think it is quite a bit more complicated than that. Bacula is
> designed with a tape paradigm. With tape drives, the device doesn't
> change. but rather another volume is swapped into the same device.

It's the 'single tape' paradigm. I've a couple of 10yo (I think)
qualstar jukeboxes here with 12 tape slots and 2 drive slots in each.
(Although we never added the 2nd drive to either of them.)

 So,
> Bacula does device assignment one time when the job is started. The
> reason is because Bacula is multi-threaded and it is the simplest way to
> avoid race conditions caused by device contention. What you are
> considering would require a new device assignment each time a new volume
> is needed. While possible, it is way more complex that it appears at
> first glance.

Fair enough. So what happens when a new volume is needed and there's no
room on the current device? -- this is the point where you'd switch to
the next device in the list and try again until you run out of devices.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin