Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks

2013-05-10 03:13:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 09:09:39 +0200
Hello John,

vchanger gets the job done as does the "disk-changer" script in
Bacula, from which vchanger was derived (and extended) if
I remember right.  The disk-changer script works fine, but we
use it only for "tape" regression testing with our Virtual Tape driver.

I am a bit surprised that no one mentioned Bacula's built-in virtual
autochanger feature that has been there for years.  The syntax for
enabling it is a bit of a  "kludge" in my opinion, but it is the way
that Bacula
Systems is recommending to handle multiple disk backup.

In the bacula-dir.conf file, define the autochanger in
the normal way for a physical tape autochanger library.

In the bacula-sd.conf, one defines:

Autochanger {
   Name = FileChgr1
   Device = FileChgr1-Dev1, FileChgr1-Dev2
   Changer Command = ""
   Changer Device = /dev/null
}

Device {
   Name = FileChgr1-Dev1
   Media Type = File1
   Archive Device = /tmp
   LabelMedia = yes          # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
   Random Access = Yes
   AutomaticMount = yes      # when device opened, read it
   RemovableMedia = no
   AlwaysOpen = no
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
}

Device {
   Name = FileChgr1-Dev2
   Media Type = File1
   Archive Device = /tmp
   LabelMedia = yes          # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
   Random Access = Yes
   AutomaticMount = yes      # when device opened, read it
   RemovableMedia = no
   AlwaysOpen = no
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 5
}

You will have a virtual autochanger, which should do what most people
want in a very simple way.  Of course, the above is an example. I definitely
do not recommend writing your Bacula Volumes to /tmp.  Needless to say,
you can have multiple autochangers (but you probably want different Media
Types), and you can have a large number of drives in each one.  No symlinks
are involved and any volume that is in the Archive Device can be mounted on
any Device.

Best regards,
Kern