Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks

2013-05-03 13:41:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup to multiple disks
From: Dimitri Maziuk <dmaziuk AT bmrb.wisc DOT edu>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 12:37:40 -0500
On 05/03/2013 10:04 AM, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:

>> I have a storage server with 12 SATA drives on an HBA. I want to backup
>> to those drives, using file volumes of 50GB or less. The idea is to
>> manually swap the drives as they get full.
>>

> Drop this idea. If you need to move your backups out of datacenter then buy
> a tape library.

We've used tape libraries for quite some time. By now we have ~20 years
of good reasons to want to throw them out and never ever touch one again.

> Why not to use LVM or RAID to use all available hard disk space (12 x sata)
> for backups? Believe me, it is simpler to create a single filesystem for
> backups then use vchanger script (it is overcomplicated and IMVHO useless).

Yes, and in a place that doesn't have 10 years retention policy I have a
36-drive box that's set up exactly like that. Unfortunately this
installation comes with different requirements.

I'll give it a few more days before I bite the bullet, but so far
vchanger looks like the least bad option. Despite being the "moving
symlink" "solution" that always felt very icky to me and being
overcomplicated at that.

Ideally one should be able to specify multiple Device's in the Storage
and have bacula write to them in turn until all get full. A couple of
extra "for" loops and another list is basically all it takes to support
that, so I'm slightly surprised it's not there already.

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin