Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Problem restoring from alternate site

2008-07-11 12:28:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Problem restoring from alternate site
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Weber, Philip" <Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 12:28:38 -0400
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Weber, Philip <Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com>
wrote:
> As I understand it, to have two Autochangers on different sites, the
> media in them must have different MediaType, or Bacula will end up
> trying to pull new media from Scratch to use in the wrong library.

I believe this is correct.

> But from what you are saying, I can't move a tape from one site to the
> other where the MediaType is different.  But this sort of move is bound
> to happen with multiple sites, for cross-site restores where one doesn't
> want them to go over the WAN.

I am not sure of a good way to do this. One way is to stop the sd on
the new site and temporarily change the media type in the
bacula-sd.conf back to the old then restart the daemon, restore and
then put the conf file back and restart the daemon again. This will be
painful if you need to do this more than a few times. My other
possibly dangerous idea is to change the media type in the database
for the tapes you want to move. I call it dangerous because I have no
idea if it will work and it may render the tapes unreadable...

Other than that I am out of ideas. I expect others have this same
situation can tell you how they deal with this.
John