Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Problem restoring from alternate site

2008-07-11 13:02:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Problem restoring from alternate site
From: Thomas <thomas AT ic3s DOT de>
To: baculausers <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 19:02:23 +0200

John Drescher schrieb:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Weber, Philip <Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com>
> wrote:
>> As I understand it, to have two Autochangers on different sites, the
>> media in them must have different MediaType, or Bacula will end up
>> trying to pull new media from Scratch to use in the wrong library.
>>
> I believe this is correct.

no, that is not necessary.
i have the identical setup:
one dir
and two sd's on different sides.
booth sd's using SDLT as media type.

Bacula can handle this without problems.
i'm running this config since nearly 2 years (from 1.36 to 2.4.1)
with ~ 50 clients per side and 70TB data on tape.

Best Regards

Thoams

>> But from what you are saying, I can't move a tape from one site to the
>> other where the MediaType is different.  But this sort of move is bound
>> to happen with multiple sites, for cross-site restores where one doesn't
>> want them to go over the WAN.
>>
> I am not sure of a good way to do this. One way is to stop the sd on
> the new site and temporarily change the media type in the
> bacula-sd.conf back to the old then restart the daemon, restore and
> then put the conf file back and restart the daemon again. This will be
> painful if you need to do this more than a few times. My other
> possibly dangerous idea is to change the media type in the database
> for the tapes you want to move. I call it dangerous because I have no
> idea if it will work and it may render the tapes unreadable...
>
> Other than that I am out of ideas. I expect others have this same
> situation can tell you how they deal with this.
> John