Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Problem restoring from alternate site

2008-07-11 11:16:40
Subject: [Bacula-users] Problem restoring from alternate site
From: "Weber, Philip" <Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 16:16:04 +0100
Config :  Two sites each with STK L700 tape library.
          Director: Solaris 9, Bacula 2.2.7 on site A (Derby).
          Storage Daemon: Solaris 9, Bacula 2.2.7 on site A (Derby).
          Storage Daemon: Solaris 9, Bacula 2.2.7 on site B (Dudley).

I have transferred a backup tape from A Derby to B Dudley but I am
struggling to get Bacula to restore from it.  (I am actually struggling
to restore at all on site A Derby at present, this is a first step in
narrowing down the problem, as I have no problems restoring backups
taken on site B Dudley, back to site B Dudley).

Some details below, any help much appreciated...

thanks, Phil
============

I have updated the catalog after loading the tape to the library in
Dudley :
   update slots=12 storage=DudleyL700 scan [drive=0?]
   Catalog record for Volume "SE2643" updated to reference slot 12.

Updated the volume's pool:
*list volume=SE2643
+---------+------------+-----------+---------+-------------------+------
----+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+-----------
----------+
| MediaId | VolumeName | VolStatus | Enabled | VolBytes          |
VolFiles | VolRetention | Recycle | Slot | InChanger | MediaType |
LastWritten         |
+---------+------------+-----------+---------+-------------------+------
----+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+-----------
----------+
|     119 | SE2643     | Full      |       1 | 1,134,945,229,824 |
1,138 |   15,552,000 |       1 |   12 |         1 | DerbyLTO2 |
2008-05-31 23:10:54 |
+---------+------------+-----------+---------+-------------------+------
----+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+-----------
----------+

I think I need to update the MediaType, but can't see a way of doing so?

The restore appears to pick the volume correctly :

The job will require the following
   Volume(s)                 Storage(s)                SD Device(s)
===

   SE2643                    DudleyL700                LemurL700

Restore job fails :

11-Jul 15:46 gorilla-dir JobId 17859: Start Restore Job
RestoreFiles.2008-07-11_15.46.19
11-Jul 15:46 gorilla-dir JobId 17859: Using Device "LTO2-0"
11-Jul 15:46 lemur-sd JobId 17859: acquire.c:115 Changing device. Want
Media Type="DerbyLTO2" have="DudleyLTO2"
  device="LTO2-0" (/dev/rmt/0cbn)
11-Jul 15:46 lemur-sd JobId 17859: Fatal error: acquire.c:163 No
suitable device found to read Volume "SE2643"
11-Jul 15:46 goldfinch JobId 17859: Fatal error: job.c:1811 Bad response
to Read Data command. Wanted 3000 OK data
, got 3000 error

I have run the daemons in debug mode (-d100) but not picked out anything
especially more useful, except that the MediaType is obviously still
DerbyLTO2.

Subset of config :
==================
# Derby L700 LTO2 tape pool for All Client backups
Pool {
  Name = DerbyL700LTO2
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle
Volumes
  Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 6 months
  Storage = DerbyL700
}

# Dudley L700 LTO2 tape pool for All Client backups
Pool {
  Name = DudleyL700LTO2
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bacula can automatically recycle
Volumes
  Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 6 months
  Storage = DudleyL700
}

# Job Defaults :  for Derby Solaris Backups to L700
JobDefs {
  Name = "DefaultDerbySolaris"
  Type = Backup
  Level = Incremental
  FileSet = "Full Set"
  Schedule = "WeeklyCycle"
  Storage = DerbyL700
  Messages = Standard
  Pool = DerbyL700LTO2
  Priority = 10
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
  SpoolData = yes
}

# Job Defaults :  for Dudley Solaris Backups to L100 (was L700, hence
naming)
JobDefs {
  Name = "DefaultDudleySolaris"
  Type = Backup
  Level = Incremental
  FileSet = "Full Set"
  Schedule = "WeeklyCycle"
  Storage = DudleyL700
  Messages = Standard
  Pool = DudleyL700LTO2
  Priority = 10
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
  SpoolData = yes
}

# BABOON :  Definition of L700 tape library using Baboon's Storage
Daemon
# Password is copied from Director section on Baboon's bacula-sd.conf
Storage {
  Name = DerbyL700
  Address = baboon                # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "RkKmg0tAjcdCbFwebfyB0d2o6wPw4DOaCE0Hlug2w"
  Device = BaboonL700
  Media Type = DerbyLTO2
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
  Autochanger = yes
}

# LEMUR :  Definition of L700 tape library using Lemur's Storage Daemon
# Password is copied from Director section on Lemur's bacula-sd.conf
Storage {
  Name = DudleyL700
  Address = lemur                # N.B. Use a fully qualified name here
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "Pt4sD1YVA4BlQc7ox5CcnBa5mCFR4qDSdHKENLknO"
  Device = LemurL700
  Media Type = DudleyLTO2
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
  Autochanger = yes
}

Phil Weber MBCS CITP
Storage Technical Services - Senior UNIX Technologist
Business Technology

Phone: 01332 62 8426
Mobile: 07748 333503

Egg Banking plc
Egg is a trading name of the Egg group of companies which includes:
Egg Financial Intermediation Ltd (reg no 3828289) and Egg Banking
plc (reg no 2999842). Egg Banking plc and Egg Financial
Intermediation Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial
Services Authority (FSA) and are entered in the FSA register under
numbers 205621 and 309551 respectively. These members of the Egg
group are registered in England and Wales. Registered office:
Citigroup Centre, Canada Square, London E14 5LB.

This e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee only. If
you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail and have received
it in error, please return the message to the sender by replying to
it and then delete it from your mailbox. Internet e-mails are not
necessarily secure. The Egg group of companies do not accept
responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent.

Whilst all reasonable care has been taken to avoid the transmission
of viruses, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure
that the onward transmission, opening or use of this message and
any attachments will not adversely affect its systems or data. No
responsibility is accepted by the Egg group of companies in this
regard and the recipient should carry out such virus and other
checks as it considers appropriate.

This communication does not create or modify any contract.