Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] restore runs infinite solved

2008-07-01 16:30:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] restore runs infinite solved
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 22:29:47 +0200
Hi,

01.07.2008 19:14, Udo Lembke wrote:
> Hi,
> i think i was to impatient... i tried to recover with bconsole and
> "status storage" shows that bacula access the tape. After 1,5 hour the
> recover job are done sucessfully!
> After that, i try the same with bat - and the job succeeds also. I look
> at the networktraffic from the client - the data was copied in the last
> twenty minutes of the restorejob. Over one hour seeking is a long
> time... but it works!!

Well, if you want to understand why it takes so long there are some
important questions.

The main thing is to enable fast seeks on the tapes. How you do that
depends on your OS, hardware, and drivers in between the two.

Can you post the storage device definition from the SD's config?
Perhaps we find suggestions to improve things.

Arno

> Udo
>
> Arno Lehmann schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> 30.06.2008 19:02, Udo Lembke wrote:
>>
>>> Hello List,
>>> i use Bacula for a while, but now i have a problem to recover an
>>> imap-archive from one user (just over 23000 Files, 14GB).
>>> If i start the recover (the backup-job is migrated to tapes) bat show
>>> the job is running, but nothing happens. After an hour i cancel the job.
>>> Perhaps someone have a hint for me?
>>> I have got the data alredy back with bextract, but it should work with
>>> bat also, i think.
>>>
>> Perhaps... have you tried the restore using bconsole?
>>
>> After all, bat is still not officially ready for production use (so
>> let's hope one of the Bat developers picks this up...) but if the same
>> happens with bconsole I think it qualifies as a bug.
>>
>> Actually, I believe the debug output you sent looks rather normal.
>>
>> Do you have a chance to retry this restore using bconsole with an
>> unstripped DIR and SD and attach gdb or strace to it, so the devlopers
>> can get a "live view" of what those processes are doing?
>>
>> Arno

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
www.its-lehmann.de